I haven’t had a cheese toastie in AGES! Like WAY too long.
As kids, we used to have toasties pretty often – a sunday evening was always the evening for simple suppers, like dippy eggs, egg and bacon (like an omelette) and toasties. My fave used to be cheese and tomato sauce – don’t ask why, I could not tell you! It’s definitely not that now!
Craving a cheese toastie, and with a new chilli condiment I’d picked up to try, I decided that this weekend was the weekend I’d finally satisfy that toastie craving.
So I whipped up a chilli, double cheese & ham toastie for brunch – it was absolutely delicious. It felt super indulgent (I don’t have that much cheese, and have recently cut back on bread), with melted, oozy cheese, thick flavoursome ham, and a tasty, spicy kick from the scotch bonnet chilli sauce. It most definitely satisfied that craving – only issue, they’re addictive!
So here’s how to make them:
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 2 slices of bread
- 50g red leicester cheese
- 50g mature cheddar
- 1 medium slice of ham (I like to use smoked)
- 1 1/2 tsp. margarine/butter
- 3/4 tsp. Neema Food African Scotch Bonnet Chilli Sauce
- Pre-heat the grill. I use a George Foreman style grill for toasties, so I don’t have to flip them, but a standard grill will work the same way.
- Spread each piece of bread with margarine. Flip both pieces over, spread the other side of one of the pieces with margarine and top with the Scotch Bonnet Chilli Sauce.
- Thinly slice the cheese. Lay the mature cheddar slices on the bread topped with scotch bonnet chilli.
- On the other piece, lay the slices Red Leicester cheese and top with the ham.
- Close the sandwich, carefully flipping one of the pieces so that all of the sandwich fillings are inside.
- Grill for about 5 minutes (turning if needed to ensure an even cooking). The outside should be a golden brown from the margarine/butter.
- Serve on it’s own or with a simple side salad.
Ta da! Simple but heavenly. It’s a great weekend breakfast treat, indulgent lunch, and is perfect for a hangover day – of which I’m sure everyone will experience in the run-up to Christmas! So go on, treat yourself to a toastie to help cure those hangover blues.
What’s your favourite toastie?