We all know that Christmas is about the food, almost as much as it is about being with friends and family. Eating and drinking is the one thing we’re bound to do with our nearest and dearest this Christmas – there’s just so much delicious food & drink this time of year.
If you’re hosting a little get together, or planing on taking some appetisers with you to a Christmas shindig this December, I have just the recipe for you.
These mini toad in the hole bites are the perfect finger food for canapes, or buffets, and are sure to go down well with adults or the little ones. If you’re not sure about making something with pork, you could always substitute the chipolatas for Heck! Chicken Italia or Smoky Paprika Chicken Chipolatas which would work just as well.
They’re super simple to create too, and here’s how:
Ingredients (makes 24):
- 12 chipolata sausages, cut in half (or 24 mini cocktail sausages)
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 100ml semi-skimmed milk
- 50ml water
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Take two cupcake tins, and pop one half a chipolata (or mini cocktail sausage) in each hole. Cook in the centre of the oven for 10 -15 minutes, until starting to turn brown.
- Whilst the sausages are cooking, prepare the batter. Seive the flour into a bowl. Using an electric hand whisk, whisk the eggs into the flour. Add the milk and water, a little at a time, continuing to whisk continuously until you have a smooth, runny batter.
- Once the sausages have started to brown, remove from the oven, and carefully spoon over enough batter to almost fill each cupcake hole. Return to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes until the batter has risen, and golden – do the knife test and ensure the knife comes out clean before removing them from the oven.
- Serve hot or leave to cool.
And there you have it, a simple and tasty canape for the Christmas season. Enjoy!
What’s your favourite Christmas party food?
P.s. Sorry my pics weren’t super festive! Didn’t think about it until after we’d eaten them all…whoops!