Say we’re doing something touristy and I’m there. I love getting to spend the day sightseeing or hunting down the best museums in my city. I’ve heard one too many born and bred Londoners question why you would, when you live here. My answer…to appreciate it. To see the beautiful sights and perhaps learn something new. There’s so much to see. Why would you not want to go out and explore more when you live here? Make the most of it.
I really enjoy going wandering, or cycling, when my family comes to visit, showing them the sights. But I’ve never actually done a sightseeing tour before.
Why? Well, they’re quite expensive. And to be completely honest, I thought I’d just see the bits I knew, and therefore could easily get to on foot, saving money.
That’s until Megabus launched its new London sightseeing tour last week. 2 hour tours taking you past all the key sights. From only £1. Now even my dad couldn’t grumble at that!
I got to be one of the first to take the tour, which was awesome.
We did get a cheeky VIP London eye experience first. And the weather that day could not have been better. Sparkling elderflower in hand, catching up with the girls with these sights, you could say my Thursday was sure moving on up 😉
photo by Kim @ Sweet Monday
The bus tours start at Waterloo (London Eye Belvedere Road), Tower of London Tower Hill and Park Lane. So starting at the eye, you can guess we started our tour from the Waterloo departure spot. It’s not too difficult to find – if you’re standing at the eye looking out, it’s over on the far left and you should see the open top buses.
Boarded, snacks at hand, off we went. The bus was on a slight detour due to the commonwealth meetings, but we were still on the road for two hours.
Photo by Sophie @ Popcorn and Glitter
I loved it. Getting to see the beautiful sights of london from another height – I realised that I don’t look up enough. Learning new facts and insights from the commentary. Having a laugh with the girls. It was a fab evening.
Here’s just a few of the things I learnt:
- London Bridge is the oldest station in the world, and the third busiest station in London
- Along Piccadilly there’s an open air gallery on Fridays. Art works are tied to the railings of Green Park – something I need to go and see!
- The River Thames used to freeze over. They even used to hold fairs on it – and an elephant walked across it. YES. AN. ELEPHANT!
- Price: from £1! Such good value for money and so competitive when compared to other tours
- Ease: there are three pickup locations across the city; Waterloo, Park Lane and Tower of London
- Fun/serious: a bit of both. You learn some really interesting facts, but if you’re going with family or friends you can make it so fun too!
- Booking: via megasightseeing.com – book in advance to find the great offers!
I’d definitely recommend it for London visitors, and even those who live in London! I’m considering taking my brother on one the next time he’s down too!
Have you done a sightseeing tour before?
*I was invited along to be one of the first to try the new London sightseeing tour. All views my own.