An Aperol Spritz is the sign of summer. Am I right or am I right?
The iconic luminous orange Italian apertif, grew on me quickly. I wasn’t overly sure the first time I gave it a sip, but now it’s my go-to summer drink. Just ahead of Pimms and Gin. It’s refreshing, slightly bitter/tangy, and so tasty. I couldn’t stop drinking it in Madrid last year.
But it’s not just that. It’s actually such a cool brand.
Right now, Aperol has taken over Shoreditch Electric Lightroom for the Big Spritz Social. A bar and courtyard which had been Aperol’d. Quite literally. It’s an orange heaven.
The outdoor space features swinging seats, decking, huge bean bags, a slide AND an Aperol boating pond/river. Yep, you heard right. You can get in a boat on a pond of Aperol. Just maybe before drinking too much. Two guys toppled in when we went and it was SO funny!
Whilst the inside features a bar the width of the room, more flourescent orange seating, a ball pit, and a revolving carousel in the centre made up of little orange scooter seats. We, of course, had to take a seat on these during the night!
There are additional orange scooters dotted around the space, as well as plenty of orange trees too. The whole space was amazing. I’ve never seen a drinks brand nail it this way before.
The drinks were obviously on point. Large copa glasses filled with the orange stuff. Mixed so well.
I know what you’re thinking. With all this alcohol, you need food right? Well, they had that covered too. Arancina had their little van in the courtyard, serving up margarita, veggie or diavolo (pepperoni & chilli) slices. These were thin, crispy & super tasty. Plenty of cheese and topping. I had the veggie one (having eaten too much meat the night before) and I loved it.
There is quite a bit of seating, and plenty of decked steps for when the tables and cushions get taken. Whilst it did get busy, it wasn’t packed which is really nice. It didn’t take long to get drinks at the bar, find a seat indoors once it got chillier, and we could have easily nabbed a boat on the pond. If we hadn’t been too worried about getting soaked.
I took Abi from work and we had so much fun, catching up, sipping Aperol alongside the orange river. It’s such a cute location, and with the option of outdoors and indoors, it wouldn’t matter if it had rained a little too.
- Fun?: – Most definitely. Even if you don’t go boating or sliding, it’s a great location.
- Price: £10 to get in, which includes 2 x Aperol drinks and a slice of pizza. They’ve sold out of pre-booked tickets, but have a number of tickets available on the door every night from 7.30pm.
- Drinks: Two in with the ticket, and then £6 each for more of the good stuff, which is really good!
- Location: So easy to find. Only 5 minutes from Old Street station. Perfect for before a night on the town too!
- Recommend?: Highly. You HAVE to see it. Make sure you get a seat on the revolving scooter seats! But it’s only there until 9th June, so hurry!
What do you have planned this weekend?
*I was invited along to the Aperol event. All views my own.