I love to give a little something homemade for christmas, I think it adds the perfect personal touch. Plus, after all, gifting is all about the thought which goes into it, and what’s more effort than making gifts?
This year Ally and I teamed up, had a girls night in and got making, cooking and setting – It’s always nice to have company when doing things like this. With christmas music on in the background we got stuck in.
We decided on 3 things to make all together which I thought I’d share with you. They’re great and relatively easy to make, and are lovely gifts!
First recipe: Coconut Ice
We used the recipe from Good Housekeeping which my Grandma had actually kindly recommended. It was a no bake recipe and says the end product can be kept for up to a month! Perfect for early preparation.
What’s better here is your ingredients list:
- 405g tin light condensed milk
- 300 (11oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 300 (11oz) desiccated coconut
- Few drops red food colouring (or a tiny amount of red food colouring paste)
So few ingredients! It’s super easy to make too.
1. Start by lining a tray with baking parchment which you will use for coconut ice to set. They recommend a 15cm x 20.5cm (6in x 8in) tin, however I just used a rectangular tin I had available. Put this to the side.
2. Take a large bowl and mix together the condensed milk and icing sugar. Stir in the coconut.
3. Put half of the mixture into the tin and smooth out.
4. With the rest of the mixture in the bowl, add the colouring and stir until you reach an even colour of pink. Layer this on the white mixture in the tin and press on top.
Obviously I needed to keep going after taking this pic 😛 Needed to rest my arms…pretty stiff to stir.
5. Cover and leave overnight to set before cutting into squares.
I did put a bit of vanilla essence in mine, not too sure why but it tasted nice!
I then used cellophane to wrap my coconut ice, gathering at the top and tying with festive string…
They’re so easy, pretty cheap and look great! If you’re looking into making a last minute gift this would be perfect!
P.s. Fudge recipe to come 🙂