Just in time for Chocolate Week, here’s the recipe for the chocolate orange bread & butter pudding I made at the recent Genius event.
This was a big hit and I will deifnitely be making this again! I highly recommend giving it a go – could be your new staple dessert dish, the flavours make it perfect for the upcoming festive season too (yes, I did mention Christmas…sorry).
This recipe should take around 45 minutes and it serves 2 – feel free to double, triple or quadruple to make plenty for your gathering, housemates or colleagues – they’ll be sure to love you after!
– 4 slices of Genius white sandwich bread, crusts removed and cut
diagonally in two
– 80g dark 70% chocolate, broken into pieces
– 40g dairy free margarine
– 100ml dairy free cream
– 100ml dairy free milk (use soy, almond, coconut milk)
– 2 tbsp dark rum
– Zest of 1 orange
– 55g caster sugar
– ½ tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 pinch of chlli flakes
– ¼ tsp ground cloves
– 2 eggs, beaten
– Preheat the oven to 180°C
– Place the chocolate, margarine,cream, milk, rum, orange zest, sugar and spices in a medium sized pan and stir until the chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy
– Pour the chocolate mixture in a thin stream into the beaten eggs, stirring continuously
– Overlap the bread triangles over the base of a small greased oven proof dish then pour over the chocolate and egg custard
– Bake in the middle of a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until the custard is just set in the centre of the pudding and serve with dairy free vanilla ice cream
I hope it goes down well!
Let me know what you think 🙂
Some extra great news – Genius’ new generation bread has an enhanced nutritional content – they’re are all low in saturated fat and high in fibre, as well as boasting no artificial preservatives. They’re packed with additional vitamins and minerals, with Omega 3 added to brown and seeded loaves and calcium and iron added to white loaves, and even last longer at home too (due to natural preservatives).