This is a super easy, yet deliciously tasty dish I’ve been making myself for breakfast or lunch, when I fancy some veggie goodness, and a little protein – it’s great for after a morning gym session too!
The best bit about this, is that you can adapt the recipe to use whatever vegetables you have available in the fridge, and you can even prepare the ingredients the night before, making it super speedy for those mornings when you have little time to relax over a prolonged breakfast.
It has a delicious taste, with the onion adding extra depth, and the egg yolk making it almost creamy in places. The nuts also add a delicious crunch! I actually just had this for lunch today too!
So here’s how to make it…
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 medium courgette
- 1/2 pepper (I like using red or yellow, to add more colour), chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 handful of peanuts/cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 medium egg
- Ground black pepper, to season
- Cut the courgette in half, width ways, then using a peeler peel the courgette to make ribbons or, as I like to call it, courget-iatelle.
- In a medium frying pan, heat a little oil. Add the red onion and pepper to the pan, and fry until golden.
- In a small saucepan, boil enough water to poach an egg. Prepare your egg ready for poaching, wrapping in clingfilm, and clipping to secure (read my post here on poached eggs, for more details).
- Bring the water to a simmer, and add the egg in clingfilm to the pan.
- Whilst the egg is poaching, add the courget-iatelle to the frying pan and fry until soft. Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Once the courget-tiatelle is ready, the egg should be almost done.
- Serve the courget-tiatelle in a bowl, unwrap the poached egg and serve on top, with a sprinkle of ground black pepper.
Ta da! Enjoy!
What’s your go to easy lunch?