These really went down a treat! We both enjoy a spicy meal, vindaloo, chilli con carne, jollof rice, you name it we’ll probably really enjoy it, so I couldn’t believe we’d never tried using buffalo sauce in a home cooked meal before.
I actually had the idea when craving a Bird (read my review here and you’ll understand why I can’t get it out of my head!) although my recipe is completely different to a buffalo wing.
Alex doesn’t really like the blue cheese sauce which is usually used to garnish a buffalo wing, so I thought I’d try a different twist as I think cheese does go really well with the spicy sauce, using cheddar tucked inside a piece of chicken breast, and then wrapping it in bacon before cooking, soaked in Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce.
Served with rice, sweetcorn and peppers, it was a seriously yummy meal. The buffalo sauce offered the heat we enjoy, whilst also being really flavoursome, almost tangy. The chicken was tender, from being cooked in foil, yet the bacon had a slight crisp outer coating from the grill. There was plenty of sauce to drizzle over the rice too, making the entire dish come together.
So here’s how I made it…
Ingredients (serves 2 ):
- 2 chicken breasts
- 6 rashers of smoked bacon
- 75 cheddar cheese
- 1/2 bottle Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce
- 1 packet of boil in a bag rice
- 1/2 198g can of Green Giant sweetcorn and peppers, cooked
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees celsius. Line a crockery dish with foil and put to the side for later.
- Cut the chicken breast into smaller pieces, roughly 2cm square – very roughly, as long as they’re big enough to put cheese in. Pop to the side.
- Cut the cheese into enough pieces for there to be one piece for each chicken piece, and cut each of the bacon rashers in half lengthways. Pop to the side.
- Take a piece of chicken, cut a little slit in the middle and slot a piece of cheese inside. Take a piece of bacon and wrap around the chicken, covering the opening with cheese. Repeat with all of the pieces of chicken – You might find you have more bacon than needed, so you can always wrap two pieces around any slightly larger pieces of chicken, to help the cheese stay in.
- Place the bacon wrapped chicken pieces in the foil lined crockery dish, and cover with the Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce. Cover the dish with foil and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, prepare the rice, cooking in boiling water until soft, and mix with the sweetcorn. Keep warm.
- Take the foil off the top of the chicken bombs, and pop under the grill for 5 minutes until golden and slightly crisp.
- Split the rice, sweetcorn and peppers between two dishes, and top with the chicken bombs. Drizzle some of the remaining sauce over the rice to add some extra sauciness and flavour.
Fussy Boyfriend Alert – Alex’s didn’t have any sweetcorn and peppers as he doesn’t them
I also served mine with a portion of green beans, for some extra veg – I do love green beans!
Have you tried cooking anything different recently?